Voice Lesson Syllabus Spring 2015
Swarthmore College Department of Music and Dance
Cell phone: 740-507-7433
Objective: To develop healthy singing habits through a systematic technical approach, and through learning repertoire that reinforces that approach. The goal is to perform a variety of musical literature intelligently, with the musical expression intended by the composer.
Materials: 1) Your Vocal Guide for technical exercises; 2) All your currently assigned music; 3) A recording device as needed; 4) a 3-ring binder and pencil.
Repertoire: All students will study and memorize a specified number of songs each semester which will be assigned at the first lesson according to ability.
Location: All lessons will be held in the Presser Choral Room in Lang Hall unless arranged otherwise.
- GENERAL RULES: Be prompt, prepared, and armed with the required materials for each lesson.
- PRACTICE LOG: Keep track of your practice time during the week, and total the time for your lesson so that I can record it on your lesson record sheet. Plan a regular practice time of at least 30-60 minutes 5-6 times a week on your assigned lesson material. This should include a 10-15 minute warm-up reviewing the technical exercises we have worked on, as well as the remainder time on learning repertoire. Remember, your body is your instrument, so your rate of progress will be directly affected by how much time you regularly spend on your singing. You can count the time you spend working on Song Sheets as part of your lesson preparation.
- SONG INFORMATION SHEETS: An information sheet will be filled out for each song that you are assigned. They are due the week after Spring Break, on the week of March 16th. You can email them to me, or hand them in at your lesson that week. This document will be the outline for the MUS48 paper which is due TBA, usually mid-April. Please check the website for the requirements.
- SONG MEMORIZATION: All assigned songs will be checked for memorization at the end of the semester. 4-5 minutes of song material will be chosen to perform at the end of the semester for juries and recitals. We will decide on this repertoire as we work during the semester.
- JURIES: MU48 students will be evaluated by the faculty on 4-5 minutes of the song material prepared during the semester at your jury. This evaluation determines your scholarship stipend. This semester the juries will be scheduled on May 4th, a sign-up sheet will be posted on the Music Department bulletin board, 4th floor Lang, outside Bernadette Dunning’s Office.
- PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES:
- Master Class with Andrew Garland – Fri., Feb. 20th at 4:30, and Master Class with Warren Jones – Sat., Feb. 21st at 3:00. Their Recital is Feb. 21st at 8pm.
- Studio Class: Thursday April 2, 6:30-8pm in Presser. All students will perform a musical theater or jazz piece with CD accompaniment, sharing the background of their piece with the class.
- Master Class with Sally Wolf - Sat. April 11th at 2pm in Lang Concert Hall
- Fall Voice Recital: Monday, April 20th at 7:30pm in Lang Concert Hall
- ATTENDENCE: We are scheduled for ten 60-minute lessons this semester. Please notify me as soon as possible if you are not able to attend your scheduled lesson both by texting me at 740-507-7433 and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You are excused from a lesson only if you have a legitimate excuse. If you have a sore throat or cold, there may be other musical or language issues we can deal with. If you are contagious, running a fever, or vomiting our time will be rescheduled, but please let me know ASAP! If I am sitting in the studio waiting for you and you do not show your time will not be made up. I will always have my phone, so text me! If you are incapacitated and have notified me in a timely way, I will schedule a make-up lesson with you. If for some reason I cannot be at Swarthmore during a scheduled time, I will let you know by email and text and will reschedule a time
- SCHEDULE: I will be teaching on Tues/Wed/Thurs this semester in Presser
- Lesson 1:January 27-29
- Lesson 2:February 3-5
- Lesson 3: February 10-12
- Lesson 4: February 17-19 Garland/Jones MC’s and Recital this weekend
- Lesson 5: February 24-26
- Lesson 6:March 3-5
- Spring break: No lessons March 10-12
- Lesson 7:March 17-19 (Song Sheets due this week) (Lesson $$ due)
- No lessons March 24-26
- Lesson 8:March 31-April 2 Studio Class: April 2nd at 6:30 in Presser
- Lesson 9:April 7-9Sally Wolf Master Class: Sat. April 11th at 2pm
- Lesson 10: April 14-16
- No Lessons April 21-23
- Spring Voice Recital: Monday, April 20th at 7:30pm, Lang CH
- Sat. April 25th: 2pm - Kimaya Diggs Senior Recital
- Sat. April 25th : 8pm - Choral Concert
- Lesson 11:April 28-30
- Children’s Opera: Sunday, May 3rd at 7pm
- Voice Juries: Monday May 4th beginning at 10:30 - A sign-up sheet will be posted on 4th floor Lang 1 week prior.
- Grading: MU48 is a 0.5 credit pass/fail course. To successfully complete this course you must: Attend 10 lessons, have prepared all required materials including song sheets, song memorization, MUS 48 paper, jury and/or recital performance, and shown an attitude of discipline and openness to new ideas. ***Please let me know if you have a disability or medical condition that will affect your participation in any aspect of this class.